SAFA Tshwane’s Extra-Ordinary Congress is finally here. It will be held on the 17th of November 2018. The venue is yet to be communicated.
This is the reconvening of the Congress that was abandoned on the 8th of September 2018. That Congress collapsed because there was no agreement between the REC and the members on the inclusion on the concerns raised by members on the agenda. Members are the reason why that Congress was convened in the first place, and yet their concerned were not on the agenda. The REC used a technicality that they only received four letters from members instead of five. Members were adamant that five letters were sent. On investigating, it turned out that the Soshanguve letter was not officially received by the REC, mainly because it was sent to the REO’s personal email address, and at that time the REO was out of the country.
Despite that technicality, PLFA contended that the Extra-Ordinary Congress was convened on persuasion of those letters nonetheless, therefore such members’ concerned needed to be considered. So the point that the REC received four letters instead of five is really neither here nor there.
This time the REC has included the agenda for the concerns of the LFAs to be discussed. PLFA has thus re-sent the letter that was no considered during the collapsed Congress. This will form part of the Agenda. In addition, PLFA has also made some recommendations on the draft Statutes to be adopted by the region. In addition, PLFA has recommended members to be appointed to the Electoral Committee.
The Agenda for the Extra-Ordinary Congress is as follows:
- Opening and Welcome by the President;
- Declaration that the Extra-ordinary Congress has been convened and composed in compliance with the Statutes of SAFA Tshwane;
- Consideration and Approval of the Delegates’s Credentials;
- Appointment of Scrutineers;
- Motions from the Members and REC;
- Consider Constitutional Alignment;
- Consider Amendments to the Electoral Code and Electoral Code of Conduct;
PLFA will be represented by the following:
- The Vice Chairperson – Ms Kelebogile Lefhiedi;
- The Secretary, Mr Solly Mohlabeng; and
- The Head of Referees, Mr Bushy Makgopa.
The Chairperson of the Association, Mr Sizwe Nkosi, will attend as a member of the REC.
On the 18th, the day after, the Executive Committee of the association will hold its Executive Committee meeting.